Friday, May 12, 2006

First gravel rally for Red Bull Skoda

Red Bull Skoda - Andreas Aigner

For Harri Rovanpera, the Rally d'Italia Sardegna is to be his 108th FIA World Rally Championship event, but the event will be the first gravel rally for he and team-mate Andreas Aigner in a Skoda Fabia. The event will also be Aigner's first ever gravel event in a World Rally Car.

"I had quite a good feeling in the last tarmac rallies, now I need to adjust and learn to drive properly on gravel," said Aigner. "The test days will help me with that for sure. Apart from that I'm totally motivated, and I hope to at least keep the immediate competition at bay. In addition Harri will be able to give me some good advice."

The Red Bull Skoda Team is contesting only the European events in 2006, and thus far, both gravel rallies of the season have been in North and South America - Corona Rally Mexico and Rally Argentina. Rovanpera has only contested one event (Rallye de France - Tour de Corse) with the Red Bull-backed Skoda Fabia and is looking to contest a top six finish in Sardinia.

"We will certainly let Harri go for it, so he should be able to achieve a top six position," said Red Bull Team boss Armin Schwarz. "We'll have to wait and see how Andreas does on gravel, what he trusts himself to do. If he manages to complete this task in a positive fashion, we have taken a further step."

"I love this rally, it is extremely difficult and very demanding," said Rovanpera. "If we're able to test successfully, we should be able to achieve a good result in the end. In my 108th WRC start, my routine and experience will surely be of help here."

No comments: