Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Exclusive Interview - Gigi Galli

Gigi Galli has much to celebrate in the coming weeks. A FIA World Rally Championship podium in Rallye Argentina, returning to his home country for Rally d'Italia Sardegna, and continuing his season with a Pirelli sponosored Peugeot 307 are all high points for the driver who just six months ago was unsure of where the 2006 season would take him. Galli sat down for an exclusive interview after claiming his first ever WRC podium finish last weekend to tell us what the real differences between the Peugeot 307 and the Mitsubishi Lancer are, how he felt by capturing his first podium finish in a World Rally Car, and just how he plans to celebrate the victory. . .


How does it feel to finally make it to the podium for the first time in the World Rally Championship?

Gigi Galli (GG): It is a very strong feeling, for sure. We have been waiting for something like this for so long. And it is twice as good - what we achieved in Argentina - because I had never driven the 307WRC on gravel before, nor had we done any sort of test before going there. I had little idea of what the car was like from my debut in Corsica, which was on tarmac. Getting this third position in South America is a reward for the huge effort from everyone at Pirelli, my main sponsor, with some help by Peugeot Argentina. What else can I say? A result like this feels fantastic, so we have to do it again as soon as possible!

You were pretty close of a podium in the Üddeholm Swedish Rally; did you think that it was going to be in an event like Argentina that you could make it true?

GG: Honestly, it was difficult for me to imagine this situation for a while, particularly after Mitsubishi's decision to retire from the sport. In the snowy roads of Sweden, I fought hard with local ace Daniel Carlsson. As I had some problems in my gearbox and he was driving so fast, he just took third place. Here, we chose a steady pace that was vital, together with not making any mistakes.

Which was the secret for you to be so fast on a car you only drove twice before, and in your first rally on gravel with?

GG: I think I was helped by the fact that the 307WRC is a very well balanced car. However, I need some more time to reach 100% of its potential. The basis is good and it shows that a group of experienced and talented engineers have worked on the vehicle.

How would you compare this Peugeot with the other World Rally Car you drove, the Mitsubishi Lancer?

GG: I must admit there is not much difference between them. Probably, in this car you can see there has been more testing and development. There are many details that make it reliable. We had not one mechanical problem in two complete rallies, which was extremely important to finish third last weekend.


What was so special about Argentina?

GG: I guess I was very happy to celebrate this result in a country where you can find such a huge number of fans supporting the competitors, not only in the stages, but also in the road sections! They show how enthusiastic they are all the time. No doubt motorsport is a passion there.

Now on to your country's event, the Rallye d'Italia Sardegna. . .

GG: Ah, that is something! My target there will be to repeat this work or even go for a better performance. We keep confident because we will be driving at our home round.

Do you think there will be a party in your town of Livigno at your arrival?

GG: In Livigno I have many supporters following my career. I am sure we'll celebrate this together with a lot of people that has helped me to be where I am today.

Is this the most important result to date for you - the one making you more satisfied than ever?

GG: Certainly, this is a moment in my career that I feel like a "payday", as we went through many efforts in the past. However, I do not want to stay right here. I still have higher achievements to accomplish...

No comments: