Monday, December 7, 2009

Petter Solberg will drive a C4 again in 2010

Solberg: Citroen offer looking best for 2010


Norway's Petter Solberg looks likely to join Kimi Raikkonen as a C4 World Rally Car driver next season, after being made an attractive offer by Citroen.

Solberg, who won the 2003 World Championship with Subaru, tackled most of the 2009 series in a privately entered Xsara WRC, before accepting an offer to drive a Citroen Junior Team C4 WRC for the final two rounds.

With little chance of a manufacturer-funded programme in 2010, Solberg decided to go it alone once again, and try to raise the money himself for a season in a top-level World Rally Car - either a Ford Focus RS WRC or a Citroen C4 WRC.



Speaking EXCLUSIVELY to wrc.com, Solberg revealed he had already raised 70 per cent of his budget and was most inclined to spend it on a C4.

"Most of my efforts at the moment are spent on getting the rest of the money together, that's the main thing, but right now Citroen have offered me the best deal for 2010," he said. "But the final decision hasn't been made yet. A lot depends on the amount of support I get from the manufacturers. I had expected Ford to give my team some help, but the situation is difficult, and it looks more like Citroen now."

Solberg also denied speculation linking him to a place in a Red Bull-backed Citroen Junior squad, alongside Raikkonen. Instead, Petter insisted he would continue to compete under his Petter Solberg World Rally Team banner. "I haven't discussed anything detailed for next year yet," he said. "Yes, Raikkonen will be with the Junior Team, but for me, I will have my own team."

No comments: