Friday, August 14, 2009

Alister McRae to drive for MML Sports at Rallyday [UK]

Alister McRae to drive for MML Sports at Rallyday
Friday, 14 August 2009 00:00


Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Grp N

Former British Rally Champion and Mitsubishi works driver, Alister McRae, will drive the MML Sports Ltd Mitsubishi Lancer World Rally Car and EvoX Group N rally car at this year’s Rallyday.

Alister has a long association with MML Sports, having driven for the Mitsubishi works team in 2002 and also, on a personal level with MML Sports’ Managing Director, John Easton. Before joining Ralliart Europe, which went on to become MML Sports in 2008, John was Chief Engineer on the Nissan rally program and was instrumental in Alister’s early career success with the Japanese marque.

Alister is returning to the UK from his home in Western Australia for the event and is looking forward to driving both the Lancer World Rally Car, which he has already sampled and the Group N EvoX, which will be his first taste of the MML Sport version.

“I’m looking forward to being back at Castle Combe for Rallyday this year,” said the Scot. “The last time I was there was in 2005 and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so it should be fun this year. In fact, especially as I will be driving the two Mitsubishi rally cars. I have a huge amount of fond memories of the World Rally Championship with Mitsubishi and it will be fantastic to catch up with the team and drive the WRCar and the EvoX.

“I actually drove the WRCar at Goodwood on the gravel stage a few years ago, just before Mitsubishi withdrew from rallying and was impressed with it. I gather that MML Sports has carried on making improvements to it, so I am looking forward to seeing how it drives now, as I’m sure it’s still a very good car.

“I’m also keen to see what the Group N car is like. I know Guy [Wilks] has driven it and was impressed, so I’m looking forward to that also.”


Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution WRC05

Managing Director of MML Sports Ltd John Easton is also pleased that Alister will be returning to the Mitsubishi fold, albeit for just the one day. “I’m delighted that Alister will be driving both the Lancer WRCar and the Group N EvoX at this year’s Rallyday. I’ve personally known Alister for some 15 years and have worked with him for almost as long, so it will be a pleasure to see him driving our cars again.

“Not only is Alister an extremely competitive driver, he’s also a showman and at an event like Rallyday, will make sure that the fans are treated to a display to remember.”

This year’s Rallyday takes place at Castle Combe racetrack in Wiltshire on Saturday 19 September. For more information, go to www.Rallyday.com.

No comments: