Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Petter Solberg to run his own team with a Citroen Xsara in 2009

26/1/09
Petter Solberg confirms Citroen comeback

Citroen Xsara WRC 2 run by Kronos Team for Sebastien Loeb

Petter Solberg will drive a privately owned 2006 specification Citroen Xsara WRC on Rally Norway and is planning on tackling the complete 2009 WRC season from then on.

The 2003 World Champion was left without a drive this year after his previous team, Subaru, pulled out of the series at the end of last year. And with no vacancies at the Ford or Citroen factory teams it looked like Petter might face at least one season on the sidelines before another manufacturer deal could be done.

However this afternoon, speaking to exclusively to wrc.com, Solberg said he intends to run his own team for up to 11 rounds this year, to keep up his rally knowledge and buy more time to negotiate a paid drive for 2010.

“I’ll be in the Xsara for Rally Norway and the plan is to do the whole championship from then - although not necessarily with the same car,” said Petter. “Everything I’m doing is being done with 2010 in mind. We’ll start with Norway, with my own team, but I haven’t got the entire 2009 season together yet. I’ve put this deal together in twenty days, and I expect things will change through the season. Nobody knows what the future will bring but I’m happy with what we’ve got for the short term.

“Okay, I know many people think I’m crazy for doing what I’m doing. Would Marcus Gronholm, Tommi Makinen or Colin McRae have done what I’m doing now? - I don’t think so,” he added.

Solberg has tested the Xsara just once, on snow, and described the experience as ‘good fun’. He wouldn’t be drawn on comparisons with the Subaru Impreza - saying he’d have to wait until Norway to see how competitive the car would be.

Rumours earlier this month suggested Solberg might drive for a new Proton WRC team in 2010, and might make a few appearances this year in the Malaysian company’s Super 2000 specification Satira.

Petter refused to discuss specifics today but said the future was looking bright: “I have had a lot of talks with many manufacturers and things are looking very good for 2010 - but let’s deal with that as it comes. For now I’m free to do whatever I want - and that’s the main thing here. As soon as I get something for the future of course I will give it 110 per cent.”

-WRC.com

No comments: